Savory treats are my favorites for tea time. My friend Nur served these to us with coffee and they were an istant hit with everyone. They are very easy to make and freeze very well. If you freeze, when ready to serve, take them out of the freezer, put them in a preheated oven for 5 minutes. They will taste like they just came fresh out of the oven. You can use olive oil, as well as any other healthy oil like walnut or avocado oil.
Yogurt, oil, feta cheese and fresh dill
Dough is ready to go in the refrigerator
Pasty balls ready for glazing
Pastry balls glazed, ready for baking
Savory dill and cheese pastry fresh out of the oven
Savory dill and cheese pastry
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ cup oil
- 2 eggs (one yolk separated for glazing)
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Black caraway seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Separate one egg yolk, save it for glazing the top of the pastry later. In a large bowl, mix yogurt, oil, and eggs with a whisk. Add crumbled feta cheese and dill, mix with a spoon. Add flour and baking powder. Mix well with a spoon. Cover the dough and let it chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Grease a cookie sheet. Take a walnut size piece of the dough, roll it between your palms into a ball and place on the cookie sheet. Repeat until all dough is used. Dough will yield about 40 pieces. Add a table spoon of water into the egg yolk, mix well. Brush the egg yolk over the pastry balls. Sprinkle black caraway seeds over the pastry. Bake in the oven until golden brown (about 30-45 minutes). Serve hot or at room temperature.